Image Source: CBS Sports
Champions Manchester City will play West Ham at home on the opening weekend of the Premier League season in 2022-23, which will include a mid-season break for the World Cup in Qatar.
Because of the World Cup, there will be no top-flight games after the weekend of November 12-13 until December 26.
The opening match is on Friday, August 5, when Crystal Palace takes on Arsenal. Liverpool travels to Fulham, while Nottingham Forest travels to Newcastle. Since 1998-99, Forest has returned to the Premier League for the first time.
The World Cup, in which England and Wales compete, begins on November 21. The final will take place on December 18, just eight days before the Premier League season begins.
Following a request from the Football Association, there will be no matches between the Premier League’s so-called ‘big six’ on the weekend of November 12-13, the weekend before the World Cup. England will get together on November 14 before heading to Qatar the next day.
Over the three festive match rounds, special arrangements have been established to give more time between games. Squads will have more time to recover as a result of this. Clubs were formerly permitted a minimum of 48 hours between matches.
Following the match round on the 26th and 27th of December, the match round on the 29th, 30th, and 31st of December will be played. The New Year match round will be held on January 2, 3, 4, and 5.
More than a six-week break
The 2022-23 season has been rescheduled to accommodate the World Cup in 2022, which falls in the middle of the domestic calendar. As a result, it begins a week sooner than usual, 75 days after the end of the 2021-22 season, and concludes a week later, on May 28.
Fifa, the governing body of football around the globe, has already said that players must be freed by November 14 in order to compete in the World Cup. The mid-season break will therefore be longer than six weeks.
Before Qatar, there will be 16 matchdays: five in August, three in September, six in October, and two in November.
On October 15, Liverpool will face Manchester City.
Manchester City is the favorite to retain their title after signing forward Erling Haaland from Borussia Dortmund for £51.2 million. After a dramatic final-day win over Aston Villa, they were crowned champions in 2021-22.
Haaland, 21, is likely to make his Premier League debut at West Ham United before City travels to Newcastle and then hosts Bournemouth.
Liverpool, who finished one point behind City in 2021-22, will host City on October 15, with the return match taking place on April 1 at Etihad Stadium.
Nottingham Forest will host West Ham before traveling to Everton after starting the season against Newcastle. The first Manchester derby of the season will take place at Etihad Stadium on October 1, with United hosting their rivals on January 14.
Arsenal will host the opening north London derby of the season on October 1, followed by a match against Tottenham on January 14. The first Merseyside derby of the season will take place on September 3 at Everton, with Liverpool hosting the Toffees on February 11.
Stats from the first weekend in the Premier League
- Arsenal will begin the 2022-23 season against Crystal Palace, marking the third season in a row that the Gunners would begin the Premier League season with a London rivalry.
- On the opening weekend, promoted Bournemouth will face Aston Villa. In August 2015, the Cherries lost 1-0 at home to Aston Villa in their Premier League debut.
- In the last ten seasons, Everton has gone unbeaten in their first Premier League match (W4 D6).
- Despite being relegated in 2020-21, Fulham went undefeated against Liverpool in both Premier League games that season, drawing 1-1 at home and winning 1-0 at Anfield.
- Southampton has the longest winless streak in the Premier League this season among the current Premier League teams (P8 D4 L4).
- For the first time in their history, Manchester United will kick off their Premier League season against Brighton and Hove Albion.
Opinions expressed by California Gazette contributors are their own.